"Canal system and the canal works: Locks" Top 5 Page for this destination Canals & Boat Tours Tip by Pavlik_NL
Canals & Boat Tours, Amsterdam: 4 reviews and 8 photos
Amsterdam used to be situated on the Southern sea (now-a-days "IJsselmeer"). The Amstel river was running here into the "IJ", a part of the sea, that knew tides. The canals had to be protected for these tides and also the salt water that was bad for the wooden poles on which the houses were built. Therefor locks were built. The regulated shippingtraffic, but above all the regulation of "fresh" water (see "Spuien"-customstip). The locks were then manually operated by a "sluiswachter" lockwatch. In those time a very respectable function.
More Local Customs in Amsterdam (10)
More Reviews (97)
- See All The place for real Rhythm and Blues
- See All Architecture, Amsterdam has a dazzling...
- See All Churches: "De Krijtberg"
- See All Getting it cheap ... on the market(s)
- See All Looking out on the Vondelpark
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels