"Mission San Rafael Arcangel" Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Mission Tip by karenincalifornia
San Rafael Mission, San Rafael: 3 reviews and 6 photos
The Mission San Rafael Arcangel is the centerpiece of the town. It was founded in 1817 as the 20th of 21 missions in the chain of Alta California. Originally established as a convalescent hospital for ill Christianized native Americans from San Francisco, the Mission provided a better place for recuperation in the warm, dry climate of San Rafael than the often damp and foggy San Francisco.
The church is open to visitors and there is a gift shop on site.
Address: 1104 Fifth Avenue, San Rafael
Directions: In the heart of downtown San Rafael
Phone: (415) 456-3016
More Things to Do in San Rafael (10)
More Reviews (42)
- See All Stand up Paddle (SUP) at China Camp
- See All Even more extreme than San Francisco
- See All Italian Street Painting Festival
- See All You might find that LP you've been...
- See All Yummy Korean food - and lots of it!
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Have you been to San Rafael?Share Your Travels