"Unique castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Oravsky Podzamok Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Oravsky Podzamok Things to Do: 26 reviews and 40 photos
I found Orava castle (Oravsky Hrad) unique and attractive for at least two reason:
1. it's location on a top of a steep 114 m (374 ft) tall rocky cliff,
2. its three-castle composition (upper, middle and lower castle) clining to the profile of the castle rock.
And it was the best preserved castle from middle ages I ever visited in Slovakia.
The first castle was built at the rock in 13th century. It was originally a watch royal fortress guarded nearby Hungarian - Polish border (Slovakia belonged to Hungary and then Austro-Hungary till 1918).
The present shape of the castle is from the beginning of the 17th century when the castle was rebuilt by Turza family.
More Reviews (57)
- Fast changing weather
- See All Renovated in 2002
- See All Do NOT look for restroom/toilet
- See All Beautiful and ugly houses
- See All Flowers
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Oravsky Podzamok?Share Your Travels