"IFO" Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Favorite Tip by Norali

Gent General: 116 reviews and 147 photos

Red heart and building along the quays
by Norali

Favorite thing: An identified flying object...

And I was the first, among the bunch who shared the drinks at Ghentse Feesten, to have identified it.

Indeed, quite after our stay in Sint-Pieters abbey area, it was time to move over. We had an appointment with Rudi (diamonddog) and the kids (Eve and James) at Gentse Feesten, on the quays.

On our way to the piers, Ian-Grace (kylian74) and Werner rang. They were coming too...

Then, we had to go through the students area. Busy place, a bit offbeat track here. Where still stands the Vooruit, as performance centre.

We followed a certain itinerary, that led us to the piers. I saw from far the three monuments of Ghent, Sint-Baffs cathedral, the belfry and St-Nicolas church.

Then, Dannie and I got in the crowd, descended the stairs to the quay (was it Korenlei or Graslei, one of them anyway). We could make our way through it till we reached a spot that used to be, probably, a kind of pontoon. Wooden floorboards.. with lots of people around.

Brazilian music procession in the street nearby, followed by a live performance in the tent ensured the surround sound.

We fetched something to eat, a sandwich for each of us then sat on a bench. There were many long communal tables and benches there to welcome the festival-goers.

From there, we enjoyed the music, the chat... since in meantime, Ian-Grace and Werner arrived and that we could get to know each other.

See on this pic the tops of the architecturally diverse buildings on the quays. Only the tops since with the tents, the crowd, you wouldn't distinguish that much the style of those buildings... From that moment, I knew that a Ghent page from this series of pictures wouldn't be usual.:)

Fondest memory: I passed through a street in Student area where one mixed techno-music and where people where dancing in the dark, though it was 4 pm, complete daylight.

The flying objects in Ghent: a red heart balloon and another one ... click here to see the Lion balloon

• Updated Dec 22, 2003

Comments

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”