"The "Cable Car"" Wellington Cable Car Tip by mikecj

Wellington Cable Car, Wellington: 21 reviews and 39 photos

I dont know why this "cable car" still exists and I have always been reluctant to use it for almost the entire time I was staying in Wellington. It seemed pointless to me at the time because I thought it didn't go anywhere and wouldn't give me a view like the peak of Mt. Victoria would. However I did in the end fork out the 1.35 (return) and gave it a try.

It was much more than I expected. The Tram stops at various points of the rail to let people on and off...so you can get out, have a look around that area (like the observatory and the botantical gardens) then hop on to the next tram that comes along. The view at the top, as is with all the peaks around Wellington was (some what predictedly) stunning. My camera flashed away again!

I tell you what, it was much better using the cable car than it was to walk, or take a crampt bus up the hill!!! (and quicker to get to the bot gardens). A must if you have some time to kill and you want to see the gardens and observatory...or even just for the view.

Address: Lambton Quay
Directions: On Lampton Quay, the entrance is inside a small shopping mall (if you can call it that). Next to McD's
Phone: (04) 472 2199
Website: http://www.wellingtonnz.com/cablecar/

• Written Dec 4, 2003

More Things to Do in Wellington (1)

Comments

mikecj

“Where am I?”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Wellington?