Villa Rosa: "Mmmm... What can I say?" Top 5 Page for this destination La Villa Rosa Tip by Norali

La Villa Rosa, Brussels: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Fun-loving us didn't let VR spoil the meet (SB)
by Norali

Last year (end 2002), while looking for a good restaurant for paella in Brussels, I asked a nice Spanish colleague from Valencia about a nice joint for paellas. She recommended me Villa Rosa.

Sooo, for the Brussels meeting (Nov.30), I chose this one for its location in the Marolles area. Also, I was craving for paella so were the other attendees.

I've been in contact with people there weeks before the meeting, telling that we would be 25-30 persons. They accepted. I went there to see the room. Though the person I was talking with tried to sell the menu at 30 euros despite the fact that, previously, I was told on the phone that it is possible to have tapas+paella+dessert at 20-25 euros. It was really at the last minute that he gave the menu at 25 euros.

Besides, the day I went there, I DID warn from start that not everybody was going to have a menu. (At least me since I don't like sangria, except when made by my Mum and some Spanish Erasmus friends. I didn't intend having wine that day. And I didn't like the dessert on the menu. So, I didn't find any reason to pay for a menu which I was not going to enjoy the half.) Yet, I suggested the menu to attendees and prices of usual dishes for those who, like me, wouldn't have the menu. I left Villa Rosa with a feeling of "arrangement done". Later on, I had only to confirm how many we would be and that there would be a Vegetarian dish.

On Nov.30, when we arrived, we were surprised. They started serving the tapas (as in the menu). I advised a personnel member that we hadn't ordered yet. He said "No need to order". I said "Look! Not everybody is going to have a menu. I thought I made myself understood about that ". Then, he started taking the tapas off the tables (somewhat normal, I would say :-). In fact, I didn't want to force peole to have the menu. Maybe they would have had the menu but I think normal to let attendees choose their dish.

Then, we started ordering. Some wanted the menu, others wanted sthg else.

Favorite Dish: When I asked about how many were going to have the menus, I was warned by the personnel member that it was not possible anymore to have the menus. In fact, I don't understand why it was not possible to have the menus since they even planned to serve more menus (thinking everyone was having a menu). What a client- unfriendly policy at Villa Rosa!

So, we all chose from the card. Many had paellas, some with steak, another one with smoked salmon. Luckily, this incident was forgotten and we had fun.

Also, when we first entered, there was a icy welcome. I was in the middle of the crowd but the first persons who entered told me about that welcome.

DISHES:
Paella was OK. Well cooked. A very large dish though. A paella dish is enough, I think.
I was told the tapas were yummy too.

The steak was a shoe-steak. Steak-knives were not available.

For sure, they can serve good paella for, say, 5 persons but seem having trouble dealing with 25-30 persons.

I paid 13 euros for my seafood paella.

Address: Villa Rosa
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Rue Haute
Phone: +32 2 537 33 21
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 2
Theme: Other

• Updated Dec 4, 2003

Comments

Norali Used To Live Here!

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Brussels?