"One and Two Day Tour Packages" Top 5 Page for this destination Vietnam Transportation Tip by tampa_shawn

Vietnam Transportation: 212 reviews and 180 photos

Ha Long Bay
by tampa_shawn

Since I am an independent traveler I normally avoid prepackaged tours like the plague but (goodness I never thought I would be saying this) in Vietnam this really is often the only way to go in SOME remote areas.

I am saying this because to some areas of Vietnam there really is no infrastructure for the independent traveler and finding information to get to these locations is next to impossible. If you do manage to make it too the location by yourself you will end up paying 4 to 5 times the cost of the tour.

I recommend taking prearranged packages to the following locations
1) Halong Bay from Hanoi
2) Mekong Delta from Saigon

The tours are very well put together and you can choose if you want a one, two, three or more day tour. For the most part they?re really a shuttle service that sets everything up for you and makes everything so easy. The guides we had spoke excellent English and were a great source of information if you wanted to ask them questions.

We met people who made there way independently to Halong Bay and then got on a boat from there and it took them forever to reach the location using local buses and trains and then once they reached the boats they were charged 5 times the price we paid for our entire package.

Everyone we talked to took a package to the Mekong Delta.

Visiting these two locations are a must do in Vietnam by the way

Type: Other

• Written Dec 3, 2003

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness”

Have you been to Vietnam?