"Upmarket Steptoe & sons - John Soames Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Sir John Soane's Museum Tip by sourbugger
Sir John Soane's Museum, London: 17 reviews and 27 photos
The small Museum (physically) on Lincolns Inn's field is the legacy of the Architect and fanatic collector Sir John Soames.
His vast collections of paintings, sculpture, casts, and various other object d'art are crammed into his three re-bulit townhouses. If they were all displayed properly they would fill a museum at least ten times the size.
It therefore gives the impression that things are just put anywhere, to enable them all to fit it : a little like a scrapyard belonging to Steptoe and son. (Note : Steptoe and Son was a hit BBC comedy about a father and son Scrap dealing Business based in West London. There was an American version of the show, called Sanford & Son)
Whilst this collection assaults the senses, hidden within the collection are some of the most important pieces of European art, such as :
William Hogarth's, A Rake's Progress; An Election
Canaletto Riva degli Schiavoni, A view of St. Mark's Square and The Rialto Bridge.
Samuel Scott's View on the River Thames.
J.M.W. Turner's Val D'Aosta and Kirkstall Abbey & Admiral Van Tromp's Barge entering the Texel.
The value of the contents obviously run into millions (unlike Albert Steptoes !)
What appeals to many however is the homeliness of the place : he lived and worked here, constantly adding to and re-arranging his collection. In the winter months you may well have to ring the bell to get in !
Admission Free, open Tuesday - Saturday.
Address: Lincoln Inns Field - North side.
Directions: Follow the signs from Holborn Tube Station.
Phone: +44 20 7405 2107
More Reviews (218)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels