Layq'a: "Excellent Food and Good View of Sagarnaga Street" Top 5 Page for this destination Bolivia Restaurant Tip by AlbuqRay

Bolivia Restaurants: 49 reviews and 30 photos

Inside Layq'a
      Inside Layq'a
      Start of Layq'a Dinner Buffet
    by AlbuqRay

Layq'a (pronounced lye-ka and means witch doctor) is located at one end of the Witches' Market in La Paz and overlooks "Gringo Alley," i.e., Sagarnaga Street. It is decorated with many masks and serves traditional Altiplano food. It was close to my hotel, so I tried it the first evening I was in Bolivia. I went early (6:30 PM) because I was not yet confident about walking at night by myself, so I was the only one there when I arrived. See below for a description of my first meal, which was delicious but much more than I could eat, and I hardly touched the wonderful salad/soup bar. It was early for La Paz diners and the soup/salad bar was only about half served. I really enjoyed this restaurant and went back twice. The almuerzo (set lunch) was reasonably priced (~30 Bs.) but the restaurant is really crowded at that time.

Favorite Dish: I liked just about everything on the salad bar, which also has soup at lunch. My favorite main dish was the false conejo. It was thin sliced beef with a green tomato and onion sauce.

Address: Corner of Linares and Sagarnaga in La Paz
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: West end of Witches' Market
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Feb 4, 2006

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to Bolivia?