"Mount Rushmore National Memorial" United States of America Things to Do Tip by Paul2001

United States of America Things to Do: 953 reviews and 1,331 photos

Mount Rushmore
by Paul2001

Of all the sights in America that I have included in VT, this is the earliest that I have visited. That was way back in 1974. Yes gold old 1974, the height of Watergate. Then fugitive, Patty Hearst, was rumored to be in the vicinity when my family stopped by here during a crosscountry excursion across the USA.
I figure that Mt Rushmore has not changed much since my visit. There has not been the addition of "a fifth head" for instance. I remember being really knocked out by the scenery around Mt Rushmore at the time of our visit. I was probably more impressed by the beauty of the Black Hills than the monument which left me and my family members sort of numb.
Offically the monument is a huge sculpture of the faces of four of the USA's greatest presidents, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and my personal favourite Theodore Roosevelt. TR was actually a friend of the sculptor, Gutzon Borglum who was commissioned to supervise the project. Borglum, who specialized in such monuments, began the project in 1927. It was not completed until after a few months after he died in 1941. As for art, well I sort of think that the monument is more an engineering marvel than a great piece art. Most of the construction of the project involves a masterful use of dynamite in order to carve that massive faces. When you consider that engineering skill that was used to creat the monument, you see why that Mount Rushmore is regarded as on the worlds great man-made wonders.
Technically it is free to view Mount Rushmore however it cost $8.00 to park your car which I suppose is not too expensive. The monument is open during daylight hours only.

Directions: 24 miles south of Rapid City, South Dakota.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Nov 24, 2003

“Follow your spirit!”

Have you been to United States of America?