"Excellent Guide in Potosi" Top 5 Page for this destination Bolivia Favorite Tip by AlbuqRay

Bolivia General: 99 reviews and 96 photos

Roberto's Mine Map
by AlbuqRay

Favorite thing: Roberto Mendez was my guide in Potosi. He is a former miner and really knows his way around. Twenty-five years ago, he pioneered the tours that go into the Cerro Rico mines. I met him through Fremen Tours but he also has his own company. He is a character and fun to be with. He also sings at the Belen Theater on Plaza 6 de Agosto some evenings. That is also where you can find him to arrange a tour. You may email him at roberto_pioneer@hotmail.com. Don't forget to notice the El Tio ring he wears. Be forewarned, you need to be in reasonable shape to keep up with him on the walking part of the tour. Potosi is built on the side of a mountain at 4100 m. and has steep streets. See also my Potosi travel tips and travelogues.

Fondest memory: Having kala phurka with Roberto at the Dona Eugenia restaurant in Potosi (see my restaurant tips and Richiecdisc's General Tips).

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Mar 15, 2004

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to Bolivia?