""Knotten" harvesting historical stuff" Netherlands Local Custom Tip by Pavlik_NL
Netherlands Local Customs: 288 reviews and 290 photos
Everywhere in The Netherlands you can see them. Willows, that we call "knot wilgen". This first part of the word has to do with the cutting - each year - of the long straight branches of this tree that sprout out from the bulkhead on top of the tree. From these long branches, in the old days, many many things were made. From strong flexibel handbows to the walls of houses. As well they were the groundmaterial for baskets in a thousands forms and the garden screens or field separating walls.
More Local Customs in Netherlands (15)
More Reviews (30)
- See All Top 20 of largest town
- Cloths for every type of weather (even...
- See All Old "Southern sea" fishermen's villages
- See All Well, in fact they are tiny fluffy...
- Royal shopping
- See All Dense freeway system in two ways
- See All Flowerbulbs as a souvenir ... beware...
- See All Watersport 3: Waterskiing
- Tolerance and suddenly everything is...
- About cafes and terraces
- The Netherlands (so not Holland) = off...
- Good hotelstandard, yet expensive!
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels