"Everything at same time... :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Local Custom Tip by Norali

Belgium Local Customs: 246 reviews and 239 photos

Good food: salads and bbq at same time :)
by Norali

As many have stated or heard or read, Belgian people like food, with quality and quantity. Sometimes, like heavy, sometimes refined, sometimes some "fast", just according circumstances and time they have for cooking (and savouring)! That's fine with me, especially since Malagasy people use to value good food too.

Yet, I was more than once surprised by the way many families use to eat. When invited by some of my friends' families, I was amazed by their ability to eat "everything together".

I usually start with the starter, then the main dish, then salad, then dessert if all or more of that is included in the diner. In many of Belgian families, one uses to have everything at same time in a dish. Very often, starter goes with the main dish (carb + meat). Then the salad is at hand reach, that enables some to have cucumber slices or carrot salads (usually starter, for me) in the main dish too.

I still hesitate to categorize it as a local custom... but it seems that other non- Belgian friends noticed that too. It eventually became an agreement, then a joke, between me and those Belgian friends that I eat everything "separated"... Plus, mothers use to push food towards you till you taste a little bit of all. Lovely!

I have to admit that I've been to some families who eat "separately" like I use to do too. But they are not that many. Or maybe I haven't noticed...

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Oct 24, 2004

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Belgium?