"Eat what the locals eat" Hawaii (State of) Local Custom Tip by BlueCollar

Hawaii (State of) Local Customs: 65 reviews and 71 photos

Food of the Gods
by BlueCollar

Spam is a very common food item in the Hawaiian diet. They consume more of it per capita than any other state in our great union. Since it is such a highly prized commodity, according to a show I saw on the Travel Channel, the State has a secret warehouse full of it to prevent any public panic in the rare event of a national shortage.

Why not try the Spam, Sam I AM? Just try it and you will see. Try the Spam, Sam I Am. You will like it. I guarantee.

I will not try it. Just let me be. I will not eat it! Can't you see?

On our first trip there in 1993, I found these little cakes of rice with a slice of meat all wrapped in nori (paper-thin dried seaweed) sitting on the counter by the register of a convenience store. When I inquired as to what they were, they said it was called musubi. I thought it was interesting when the cashier said the locals eat them all the time. It's just a simple snack made with Spam. So, while totally disgusting my wife and the other couple we traveled there with, I ate it. I actually enjoyed it very much. Every trip since then, I've eagerly sought them out.

You'll find musubi at many convenience stores on the islands. And as for Spam on a menu, it'll be there, too. Just look for it. Heck, you may even find it on some very well-to-do restaurant menus.... seriously. All I can say is to try the musubi. It will make for a good introduction. My wife finally did... and she likes them now, too.

Okay! Okay! I'll try just one. Just a tiny bite and then I'm done!

I like it! I like it! Are there anymore? I'll eat it! I'll eat it! I'll complain no more.

Return to my main Hawai`i page.

• Updated Mar 15, 2006

Comments

BlueCollar

“Get out and explore!”

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?