"From Florence and Nurnberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Sigismund Chapel - Wawel Cathedral Tip by matcrazy1
Sigismund Chapel - Wawel Cathedral, Krakow: 7 reviews and 7 photos
There are a lot of masterpieces of art inside the Sigismund Chapel of Wawel Cathedral, real Renaissance pearl and the work of the Florentine artist Bartolommeo Berrecci.
- St. Sigismund statue made of the deep red marble which compares with the best Italian sculptures of the period;
- king's stall with the 1574 tombstone of Queen Anna Jagiello by Santi Gucci (opposite to the entrance);
- magnificent silver altarpiece with scenes from the Virgin Mary's life wrought by Europe's then top masters in Nurnberg in 1531-38;
- the bronze entrance grille made in Hans Vischer's famous Nuremberg workshop in 1530- 32.
Everything mentioned above and much more just inside one of 18 chapels of the cathedral - don't miss it. Sorry, no pictures - I didn't get the Director of Wawel Castle permission :-(((.
Address: BOT, Wawel 5, 31-001 Krakow, Poland
Directions: From SE corner of the Main Market Square go souhwards Grodzka Street (aprox. 20 min.), at the end turn right ---> the entrance: walk right up to the hill.
othercontact: Fax: +48 (12) 4221697
Phone: +48 (12) 4225155 ext. 291
More Things to Do in Krakow (93)
More Reviews (259)
- See All 3-star, family run hidden gem of Krakow!
- See All Great US friends and Polish food :-)
- See All Famous honey cakes from Torun
- See All Polish and... Mexican drinks
- See All Let's meet... under the knife
- See All On bicycle
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Krakow?Share Your Travels