"A Day to Remember !!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Things to Do Tip by into-thin-air

Cumbria Things to Do: 84 reviews and 268 photos

The Summit of Great Gable for the Service
by into-thin-air

On the eleventh hour of the Sunday closest to the eleventh day of the eleventh month there is an a service of remembrance on the top of Great Gable at the Head of the Wasdale valley, This is not a religious service But a Service open to ALL people to remember the dead from ALL wars, so regardless of Creed, Colour or Denomination you will defiantly be welcome to attend and give thanks to those that made the ultimate sacrifice and enabled us ALL to have the freedom of movement that we take as our right today,
This service was originally for the members of " The Fell and Rock Club " who purchased the Summit if Great Gable along with the summits of the surrounding fells as a fitting tribute to those of there members who died in " The Great War " But when the National Trust was formed The Fell and Rock club handed over all these peeks to be kept in perpetuity so that ALL were free to attend the service and indeed Roam these peeks at our leisure !!
Great Gable is just under 3000 feet high and it is a fair walk to the summit, there are several routes to the top and you can set off from either Wasdale Head, Borrowdale or the top of Honister Pass near Keswick to name a few. It really is a Multi-National day and this year whilst walking up I talked to people that had travelled hundreds of miles to take part in the service. This year I also took a Radio Recorder up and interviewed various people on their way up to the summit for Radio Cumbria and this went out on Remembrance Day so that the people who couldn't get to the top had an idea of what it was all about !!!!
I am Proud to take a Wreath up to the top and lay it on behalf of the members of the Gosforth and district of the Royal British Legion -- This is MY act of Remembrance
If you are ever visiting the Lake District in November and would like to attend this service then Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me and I will gladly advice you of the routes to the summit and if you would like to walk up with me then I will be pleased to act as your guide !!!!

• Written Nov 14, 2003

Comments

into-thin-air Was Born Here!

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Have you been to Cumbria?