"One I wouldn't recommend" Hotel Esmerelda Tip by oneonta_ni

Hotel Esmerelda, Paris: 273 reviews and 13 photos

This is a one star hotel right across the street from a little park and across the river from Notre Dame. The location is excellent and you can request a room with a view of Notre Dame.

The building is very very old (perhaps 17th century?) and is full of charm. The staff are friendly as is the cat that sleeps at the front door. However, we found the rooms to be a bit too old and scruffy. The bed seemed to be about the same age as the building and the bathroom was very cramped with what appeared to be dry rot under the flooring.

The main things that concerned me were the fact that the stairway (the only emergency exit I could see) was very narrow and winding and there were no smoke alarms in the building. In the event of a fire, it was the window or nothing as far as I could see.

A friend who stayed at the hotel around the same time as we did said she was given a room in a newer annex of the building. She said there was no heat (it was December) and when she opened the drawer of the bedside table, she found a dried up piece of ham. She said the staff were not friendly or helpful to her and her friend.

I will add that it was about 1998 that we were last there and things could have improved by now. Just remember - you get what you paid for!

Address: 4 rue Saint Julien le Pauvre
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: +33 1 43 54 19 20
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.hotel-esmeralda.fr/

• Written Nov 14, 2003

“Give up your day job, your feet were meant to roam...”

Have you been to Paris?