"Monash - for the young at heart" Top 5 Page for this destination State of South Australia Off The Beaten Path Tip by iandsmith

A wonderful place for kids (even old ones!)
by iandsmith

I felt more than a tinge of sadness as I pulled into the carpark here and swore under my breath at what greedy lawyers had done to our way of life.
By explanation let me state that a wonderful man of vision, Grant Telfer, started Monash playground out of nothing more than scrap metal and the goodness of his heart in 1965. By 1985 he had filled the park with 180 "challenges" as he called them. It was around this time I visited with my children. Of all our holidays this is one placed we always remembered as being evocative of the good things to be found in the human spirit.
200,000 people annually used to come here to see the engineer's masterpieces and, you have to trust me here as they are no longer there, some of them were masterpieces of imagination.
It put the otherwise nondescript and just off the main road town of Monash on the map but, and even as I write this a tear comes to my eye, it closed in 1992 due to public liability issues. A curse upon those responsible I say!
Eventually, due to its enormous popularity of what had been, a new park opened; more sedate than the previous and less adventurous but still free unless you choose to make a donation which I have always done.
There are plaques acknowledging Telfer's genius and his legacy lives on in parks throughout Australia and the world as some of his innovative designs have been copied.
I take my hat off to the man.

• Written Nov 1, 2003

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of South Australia?