Niu Pao Bei Huo Guo: "Guizhou steamboat (lamb/beef/dog available)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kunming Restaurant Tip by hooiluangoh

Kunming Restaurants: 100 reviews and 98 photos

This is a huge restaurant with many dining halls, each separated by clever partition so one always thinks one is in a boutique. It also has private dining room.

Menu in Chinese.

If you are seated in a privivate dining room (because the halls are too busy), don't get too excited yet, especially when there are 2 tables in the room. My experience is the waiter can't tell which table is which, and in the end we were served the other table's appetisers. When they realised the mistake, they just took our dish to their serving desk, waited for 5 minutes, then served it on the other table. The problem is: We have already picked some on the plate (with our chopsticks).

Favorite Dish: The meat to try are: fatty beef (not unlike shabu-shabu).

Warning : dog meat is also on the menu.

The soup base can be hot & spicy, chicken & herbs or both, ie 2 soups in a pot, separated by a partition. I recommend the chicken & herbs as I can't tell what's so good about the hot and spicy. It's really hot and tasteless. Also you eat that hot and tasteless and everything else will taste(less) the same. (I am speaking from the point of a north malaysian who loves hot and spicy food)

Order plenty of vegetables, like greens, mushrooms and tofu. There are a lot of choices on the menu.

And don't forget the dips. It comes in 2 varieties. A hot and a herbal (with coriander). Again, I recommend the herbal one.

There are also cold appetisers, you can order some to go with the beer while waiting for the steamboat to be served.

Four of us went. Total cost: 160 RMB.

Address: Xin Ying Xiao Cu, Bai Yun Lu no 157
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Lian Meng Da Ciu Dian (Lian Meng Hotel)
Northside side of the city.

Phone: (0871) 565 2498
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Seafood

• Updated Jun 7, 2004

“Find good food”

Have you been to Kunming?