Kor Agop: "fresh seafood..." Istanbul Ili Restaurant Tip by marktynernyc

Istanbul Ili Restaurants: 48 reviews and 91 photos

I had read negative reviews about the Kumkapi area - tourists being ripped off. However - I found an article by an food writer who lives in Istanbul - who recommended this meyhane. The taxi dropped us off at the pedestrian mall -and we were prodded to eat at various restaurants ("I have 5 children feed, please eat at my restaurant") We found Kor Agop but there was only one other table filled - I was bit concerned as we sat down - especially when the small band began to play a bit too loudly. We ordered various mezes, salad, fish and two bottles of white Turkish wine. The fish was quite good - moist and flavorful. I think the total bill only came to 71.000.000 TL (fish was actually more expensive in other places on the Bosphorus) The band of course serenaded our table for a tip - but hey, go with the flow and have fun - I imagine this area is packed friday and Saturday. Can't comment on any of the other places here. One note - my hotel did recommend taking a taxi to this area - that the surrounding area can be unsafe.

Address: Ordekli Bakkal Sok., No. 7, Kumkapi
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: located in Kumkapi
Phone: 212 517 23 34/35
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Seafood

• Updated Nov 4, 2003

“"...here we are, caught up in this big rhythm..." - the Blue Nile”

Have you been to Istanbul Ili?