"Turning left in Los Angeles" Top 5 Page for this destination Driving Tip by Erin74
Driving, Los Angeles: 19 reviews and 14 photos
Favorite thing: Okay, so here is the deal with making a left hand turn in Los Angeles. It is a big pain.
Many tourists come to Los Angeles from places that have left hand turn arrows at intersections. While L.A. has added a few here and there, you mostly will not see turn arrows. With traffic congested like it is in this city, you can sit through an entire green light and never have a break in the opposing traffic that would allow you to turn left. Hence the confusion. Here is what locals do (and what you should to, unless you want to get honked at and see a few ugly hand gestures).
1. The first two cars in line to turn left should pull forward into the intersection.
2. When the light turns red, these two cars may turn left. In these circumstances is it OK to turn on a red light and oncoming traffic will expect it. Just move out of the intersection as quickly as possible.
More Reviews (63)
- See All Kitson: where the hip and trendy shop
- See All Trendy Breakfast Scene: "Toast"
- See All The Standard Downtown: Hip and Modern
- You need a car to see Los Angeles!!!
- See All Academy Gallery (at Academy of Motion...
Erin74's Related Pages
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels