"The Camargue, France" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Things to Do Tip by sim1

Europe Things to Do: 1,313 reviews and 2,177 photos

Flamingo's in the Toronto Zoo
by sim1

The Camargue, at the delta of the river Rhône, is one of Europe's major wetland regions. If you visit the Camargue you?ll see a very flat landscape where hardly any people live. I took a small winding road through the area that took me from Arles to Salin de Giraud (road D36b and D36c). On the side of the road I could see pastures and small and bigger lakes. In and around the lakes I saw lots of different types of birds but mainly groups of 'Greater Flamingoes'.

I think in short the Camargue can be described as a paradise for birdwatcher. The landscape isn't spectacular, so don't go here for that reason, but if you love to watch birds (like me, hahaha, although I often don't know the names of the different type of birds) this is a great place to go to. I spotted quite a few birds during my trip. Here are a few that I remember seeing and know the names of: the little egret, cranes, gulls, a group of swans and of course lots of ?Greater Flamingoes?. There are around 10.000 pairs of flamingoes in the Camargue, so it?s no surprise to spot them here. The most chances you spot them are in the south, in the saltier lagoons.

The photo isn't taken in the Camargue though, as the birds were too far away to make a good picture with the camera. So I added a picture that I made in the Toronto Zoo of the flamingoes instead.

• Updated Jan 31, 2005

sim1 Visits Here Frequently!

“Forever smiling :-)”