"The Holy See" Vatican Museums Tip by tyerks

Vatican Museums, Rome: 158 reviews and 375 photos

Vatican City is a definite must in Rome. It's so gorgeous!! The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel isn't like most other works of art you hear about (better when you hear about it, not as great when you see it) It's just as amazing as everyone says! The Sistine Chapel is pretty small, though, and there are TONS of people in there, so just be prepared. St. Peter's Bascilica, on the other hand, is HUGE!! There are tons of people, but you barely notice, because it's so big! Also, the museums are amazing. There is so much art there. My favorite things (although I haven't seen everything in the museums or St. Peter's) were the ceiling and wall of the Sistine Chapel and there's this ceiling in one of the museums that LOOKS like it's carved, but really, it's just a way of painting that makes it look that way and it's all two dimensional. I thought it was so cool. Sadly, I missed the Pieta at St. Peter's, so I will definitely be returning to see that, re-see the Sistine Chapel, and see more of the museums. Also, if you go to Vatican City on Wednesday morning, you can see the Pope speak. It's a great experience, especially for me, since I'm Catholic.

Address: Vatican City
Phone: +39 329 530 3586
Website: http://www.museosvaticanos.com

• Written Oct 14, 2003

Comments

tyerks

“To dream is to travel; to travel is to fulfill your dreams!”

Have you been to Rome?