"Destructive Parrots!" Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Warnings Or Dangers Tip by kiwi
New Zealand Warnings and Dangers: 147 reviews and 102 photos
These mountain parrots are among the few species of parrot familiar with snow. Unlike most others, they are not brilliantly coloured but do have some lovely colours hidden under their wings.
They are very friendly, or should I say, they are not afraid. Perhaps this is because they know they have a powerful weapon in their beak!!
Keas have been known to almost dismantle a vehicle! They can remove hubcaps, take out complete windscreen seals, making the screen dislodge. They can carry off a whole boot leaving trampers (trekkers) with one boot! They can take off with a heavy SLR camera and fly off with it.
They have been known to reach into a pack and remove items. Don't ever underestimate their ability, so always be aware and prepared. Keas live to 20 yrs of age or more, so they know about things!!
Their mischieviousness and playfulness has been described as a sign of a higher level of intelligence, so always respect these wonderful birds. They are quite happy walking around, and don't fly to move from A to B if they can walk.
More Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand (12)
More Reviews (71)
- See All Canoe Regatta
- See All Free Wifi around NZ
- See All Nakedbus.com Cheapest travel around NZ.
- See All Visit White Island an active volcano.
- See All Beer unique to New Zealand
- See All No such thing as a short-beaked kiwi.
- See All Bungy Jump at the home of all Bungy!!
- See All The ladies' Bra Fence.
- See All Camp grounds and holiday parks.
- See All Between Hamilton and Rotorua
- Respect the Sun's Powers at all times!
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
kiwi's Related Pages
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels