"A Labyrinth" Macy's Tip by bugalugs

Macy's, New York City: 80 reviews and 77 photos

The man responsible for this huge shop was called Rowland H Macy. Born in Nantucket in 1822. His first Macys store was opened in October 1857 on 6th Avenue/14th Street.
It wasnt until 1902 that this much larger store was built.

What a shop! There are so many floors and buildings that are joined together, that I am completely disorientated when I go in Macy's.

We were trying to find something in particular and I thought the best place would be to find a directory, usually near the escalators, but they were'nt very comprehensive. We then asked a lovely man who worked there and he took us himself.

As I always say on vt 'shopping' tips, I hate shopping! But our son and his friend wanted to 'spend spend spend'!!!!!

My son had just bought a pair of trainers when a man (from London) asked us if we had a 'Macy's International Shopper Savings Card'. You pick one up at the Customer Information desks. It is for International Shoppers and entitles you to 11% off!!! Needless to say we got one, and were allowed to show our receipts for purchases already made and were reimbursed. I thought that was great. I love a discount. Not only that the card is valid until 31 December 2005! There are a few restrictions on what it can be used for though, perfume, gift certificates. Also not valid at the 'One day sales'.
So if you are in the US from another country pick one up and save some money!

What to buy: My son bought trainers, which were cheaper than here in the UK

Address: Broadway/34th Street
Directions: Herald Square Metro line
Phone: 212 695 4400
Theme: Department Store
Website: http://macys.com

• Written Oct 11, 2003

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Have you been to New York City?