"Fréjus" Top 5 Page for this destination Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Things to Do Tip by sim1

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Things to Do: 208 reviews and 403 photos

cloister St-Léonce in Fréjus
by sim1

It?s halfway the day and we are in Fréjus, the rain is still going on and on and on, my mood was not what you call fantastic, and to be honest, Fréjus didn?t make me feel any better. I had a slight hope that this might be the highlight of the day, hahaha, which should have been easy as it had been a bad day so far, but Fréjus wasn?t able to cheer me up. The reason for the stop in Fréjus was the Cathedral and cloister St-Léonce. The fortified cathedral and cloister date from the 12th century. The baptistery is from the 5th century, which makes it one of the oldest in France. Of course it was closed when I got here, but it would open around 3 o?clock. So instead being the stubborn tourist, we decided to take it easy and relax and go for lunch.
We hoped of having a nice visit to the Cathedral, it was inside; so dry from the rain... that sounds good, doesn?t it? I thought so! The cathedral was open when we got back and I wandered around to have a look. The cathedral is nice, but not that great as I expected. My guidebook called it ?The spectacular Cathedral?... mmmm, I guess I differed in my opinion quite a bit. The Cathedral was quite bare to see and not impressive at first sight. But no worries! Another entrance at the cathedral would bring us to the cloister, which must be nice to see! The tickets for the cloister cost around 5 Euro per person.
We opened the door to the cloister and I started to click some photos of the courtyard, it looks nice as you can see in the picture, but that was about it. After a few minutes we started to realize something..... Where is the rest that we can see? Why did we pay so much money??? Just to see this courtyard? I was completely astonished, I just couldn?t believe it. But unfortunately it was true. No need to say my mood didn?t go up after this visit, so better forget about this and step into the car again? we?re off to Nice!

More of this story and about the city on my Fréjus

• Updated Oct 21, 2003