"Avignon" Top 5 Page for this destination Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Things to Do Tip by sim1

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Things to Do: 208 reviews and 403 photos

Place de l'Horloge, Avignon

Place de l'Horloge, Avignon
      Palais des Papes, Avignon
      Palais des Papes, Avignon
      Le pont d'Avignon
      Avignon, France
    by sim1

"Sur le pont d'Avignon, L'on y danse, l'on y danse..."

Hahaha, who doesn't know this song about Avignon and its bridge. While driving towards Avignon the song was playing in my head the whole time, repeating it endlessly, hahaha, it drove me crazy! ;-). When I arrived in Avignon I didn't dance on the bridge itself though, but I did take a picture of it, and you can see that one on my Avignon page.

Avignon is not only famous for its bridge but also for the Palais des Papes. The Palais des Papes looks like a huge, fortress like palace. The size really amazed me; it's almost impossible to get the whole complex on one photo, it's so big. Seven French popes ruled here from 1309 to 1377 and that is the reason why this miniature Vatican was build.

The picture above was taken on the Place de l'Horloge, which is not far from the Palais de Papes. I sat for hours on one of the many terraces enjoying a nice cool drink on this warm autumn day. I felt very lazy doing it, but it was great sitting here watching all the people stroll by. Beware though, the prices for the drinks are a real rip-off, for a large coke and beer we had to pay 15 euro. Hmmm... I wonder why the waiter was surprised when we didn't tip him after he mentioned this ridiculous amount to us. I decided that the tip and service (....oops, we didn't get any service here, just a seat and two words when he needed to drop down the drinks on the table) was included in this exorbitant price, much to the displease of the waiter.

There is much more about bridge and Palais des Papes on my Avignon page