"Non-potable water!" Food and Restaurants Tip by JackRussel
Food and Restaurants, Mexico City: 12 reviews and 4 photos
Be aware that water in Mexico city is not safe to drink.
In addition to the risk of catching bacteria causing diarrhea, I've been told that the tap water can give you amoebas, as well as some viruses (Hepatitis amongst others). And this is for microbial contamination. I wonder if the water is chemically potable...
So the best way to avoid this:
-DON'T drink tap water
- Avoid beverages with ice (unless it's been made of filtrated water, ask).
- Drink bottled water (be sure that the seal is unbroken)
- If you need to drink tap water, you can:
---boil it for 10 minutes
---treat it with iodine tablets
- Some houses are also equipped with Ozone purifiers, which kill microorganisms, and this should be safe. We drank that water without any problem
- If you're at an hotel, ask: maybe they have a filtration system
othercontact: Lonely Planet Mexico guide
More Warnings and Dangers in Mexico City (1)
More Reviews (1)
JackRussel's Related Pages
Have you been to Mexico City?Share Your Travels