Parador De Alcaniz in Teruel: "Overlooking Medieval Alcaniz, Palace Parador" Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Hotel Tip by deecat
Spain Hotels: 302 reviews and 357 photos
1. Front view of Parador De Alcaniz in Teruel [Dee is waving from the second from right arched window!]
2. Reconstructed part that is Parador Alaniz plus the ruins.
3. View of countryside from our hotel window.
4. One of Tile Paintings on stairwell of Parador De Alcaniz.
5. Hallway of the hotel that led to our room.
Parador De Alcaniz sits on top of the hill above the town of Alcaniz & is surrounded by the fertile Maestrazgo valley. It is at the top of the Cerro Pui-Pinos Mountains.
It is a majestic 18th-century Argonese palace & was once a 12th-century castle. The castle became the headquarter of the Order of Calatrava in 1179. It's seen many renovations and expansions over the years. It is ALSO KNOWN AS "La Concordia"
The rooms have extensive views framed by thick castle walls and wooden windows. (Our windows in our room were set so high that steps have been built-in in order to reach them!)
The furnishings are made of rustic wood. The bedspreads are pale blue, & the floors are burnished red tile covered with colorfully patterned rugs.
All rooms have air conditioning, television, modern in-suite bathrooms, and a mini-bar.
This is really an intimate Parador--only 12 rooms. The reason it looks so much bigger on the outside is because much of the space has been given to spacious beamed hallways, sitting areas, a beautiful, high-ceilinged dining room, and a handsome lounge.
A 12th-century tower (which was constructed by the Knights of the Order of Calatrava) still exists on the grounds. A small cloister & the remains of walls that date from the 12th through the 15th centuries share the Parador's dramatic hilltop setting.
Unique Qualities: Ideal setting for a romantic stay. The decor of this charming place is sober but in good taste:
The bathrooms are spacious and attractive.
This is a tranquil, lovely setting for a slow-paced vacation.
The town of Alcaniz has many squares with porticos and narrow streets with balconies, which help to maintain the town's medieval charm.
Address: Castillo de Calatravos, s/n 44600 Alcaniz (Teruel), Spain
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the top of a hill dominating the town of Alcaniz. Alcaniz is located 105 km from Zaragonza along the main N-232 road toward Madrid.
Phone: (78) 83.04.00
More Hotels in Spain (16)
More Reviews (65)
- See All One week in Apartment in Nerja
- See All Food-Related Customs in Spain
- See All Eating Patterns in Spain
- See All We LEASED a Car For Use In Spain
- See All Madrid's Prado Museum
- See All Bullfighting in Spain
- See All Spain is a Great Place to Shop
- Nightlife in Madrid
- See All Guadalajara: Surprisingly Lovely Town
- Topless Bathers in Tossa del Mar; Watch...
- Speak no Spanish? Need this small book
Been to Spain?Share your travels with the world!
deecat's Related Pages
Have you been to Spain?Share Your Travels