"Bizutage, baptýme.. folklores estudiantins" Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Local Custom Tip by Norali
Brussels Local Customs: 261 reviews and 316 photos
Something I use to greedily expect: the encountering with "bizu" students in Brussels metro.
Don't be afraid if you see noisy, screaming groups of youngsters with one or two leaders in uniform with a "p?ne": a cap with a long visor. And be glad to hear those hoards of students, ready to achieve those rituals that would make them be accepted, once "baptized" within their respective "cercles". Cercles are similar to those college frats in the US.
"Trainings" are held at beginning of academic year so you won't see that, except during the first weeks of univeristy. Training includes humiliation acts that freshmen who would like to be "baptized" have to endure. Some abuses in the past led to some kind of regulation. Still, it's something fun to do in your University years. Once they prove obediance to the frat, they become "baptis?s" and can wear their "tenue" with either a "p?ne" either a "calotte" the following years... Plus, some may train new bizus, and, very often, take revenge...
The "tenue" is always a dirty apron with lots of drawings, signatures, texts, lyrics written in it... The "baptis?s", those who succeeded the test "bapt?me", wear it during bizu and bapt?me periods, in the campus, in the streets.
This is a local student custom I hadn't dug into.
You can spot them in the metro (ULB students). ICHEC bizu can be spotted in Montgomery metro station. They are in a large group, proving obediance to their leaders, yelling, singing, on all fours. Cool folklore..
More Local Customs in Brussels (14)
More Reviews (131)
- See All Shoes, girls ! and bags ! and shoes! and...
- See All For a best Maghrebin treat
- See All It is all in the Baroque details
- See All There was Mojito, then Non-Alcohol...
- See All When you are at it, go browsing the fish...
- See All Brussels Card, especially for museum...
- See All Minimize the risk !
- See All Centrally located one
- See All This is Brussels: Manège d' Andrea for...
- Biking in Brussels streets
- Specific gear for rainy Brussels (and...
- Restaurants in Ilot sacre area
Norali's Related Pages
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels