"The Monkey Temple - Jaipur" India Things to Do Tip by Vintom

India Things to Do: 1,031 reviews and 1,690 photos

Monkey Temple - Jaipur
by Vintom

Would you like to see the Monkey Temple now sir? The rick shaw driver asked. After the amount of monkey temples I?d already been to that had no monkeys, I said to him, not really Driver, they never have any monkeys in them! This temple has plenty of monkeys, he said. Ok then, let?s have a look. It was not that far to the Temple, which was tucked away at the edge of town with the forest just behind.
The man at the entrance told me that there were in fact four temples, and each one got bigger as you went through the various courtyards to the next.
These temples were made of white stone and marble, and while they looked nice I was at the stage of thinking they were just another temple. I looked at the first two without seeing so much as one monkey, but then again it was so hot that if they had any sense they would be up a tree and in the shade, not mooching around an old temple that was scorching hot.
I was just about to turn back after the second one, but thought that I?m here now, so I might as well have a look at the other two. I was also the only person here , which made it a little spooky. When I entered the third temple I realised why George had assured me there would be monkeys here. On top of the carvings in the centre of the temple were further carvings of monkeys. This is what they must have meant by Monkey temple. The silhouette from the carvings was quite strong in the sunlight so I thought I would get up close to them to take some picture.

As I got close to the carvings the whole place erupted with howling and screeching, the bloody monkeys were real and I had disturbed them as they rested in the shade of the temple dome away from the sun.
Well needless to say they scared the bloody life out of me to start with. It was just like the scene from jungle book with the monkeys in the jungle temple, all that was missing was a big bear and a little Indian boy.

Address: The Monkey Temple - Jaipur
Directions: Don't know exactly where this place was, I know it was in Jaipur and the Rick shaw driver took me there.

• Updated Oct 31, 2003

Comments

Vintom

“"Somewhere on a distant highway"”

Have you been to India?