"Skydiving and sandboarding in Namibia" Swakopmund Things to Do Tip by Kramer01

Swakopmund Things to Do: 65 reviews and 104 photos

Sandboarding - Swakopmund
by Kramer01

If you go to Swakopmund, you HAVE TO do sandboarding and skydiving!

Sandboarding can be done lying down. So you don't need to be a ski/snowboard expert to do this. Also, doing it lying down is faster than standing up. We reached speeds of up to 80 km/h (50mph)! If you follow the directions the instructors give you won't fall or eat sand. And it's fairly cheap. It's only 20-25usd for about 4 hours (including a lunch and the drive to and from the sand dunes-which takes about 15 minutes each way)

Skydiving. A word that can scare many of us. Many would not even consider doing this at home, let alone doing it in Africa - where safety is not always a top priority. But the people working at the small airport are experts from all around the world and they wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe for them. My instructor said that Namibia has high safety regulations for skydiving and that they had a safety record of 100% (before my jump). We jump in tandem, so I told myself that if the instructor thought it was safe for him it was probably safe for me too.

Everything about skydiving was great: the flight to 10,000 feet allowed us to do a scenic flight for about 20 minutes, the free-fall is a complete rush, the 5 minutes descent with the parachute open is a total freedom. The view we have over Swakopmund with the desert, the dunes and the ocean is really amazing! Expensive, but well worth it. In our group, 10 out of 11 did it and everyone enjoyed it a lot. The skydive alone costs 175USD. Plus 60 USD if you want the pictures or the video (70 USD if you take both). ===> Note that the video is a different signal from the NTSC signal in North America. So I needed to have it converted at home. Cost 10USD (still worth it)

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ranked Member

Have you been to Swakopmund?