VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Group tours" Personal Observations Tip by Dabs

Personal Observations, Saint Petersburg: 46 reviews and 36 photos

After seeing a steady stream of buses pulling up to every major attractions, it seemed to me that the majority of travelers to Russia still opt for a tour group instead of independent travel.

We opted for a tour for convenience (not enough time to plan) but are normally independent travelers and I found the group tour had lots of frustrating aspects. I would encourage anyone who is a seasoned traveler to try to plan an independent trip instead.

Here's what I feel are the pros and cons:

PROS
-meeting nice people

-no hassling with train/plane/bus/hotel reservations

-at least in our case we had an excellent guide (but you can always hire a private one with independent travel)

-bypassing the lines (once again with a good private guide this is also possible)

CONS
-Waiting for other members, on our tour someone was late for virtually everything we did

-all those bathroom stops!

-noncentrally located hotels, the tourist class ones tend to be located on the edge of the city

-included meals tend to be what is easy to do for a group (ie buffets, mostly with cold food that should have been hot, stops at food courts and grocery stores)

-often inconvenient flight arrangements

-often not enough time to see the attractions so you can stick to the schedule

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Sep 11, 2003

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?