"Isak Pasha Palace, Dogubayazit" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Things to Do Tip by MalenaN

Turkey Things to Do: 1,137 reviews and 1,882 photos

When I had decided to go to Turkey I borrowed a book in which I saw a photo of Isak Pasha Sarayi. I immediately felt that I wanted to go there, even if it was almost as far east in Turkey you can get.
The palace was built during the 18th century by a Kurdish chieftain, an Ottoman governor. The palace is situated above the plain, overlooking the old silk caravan route and todays Dogubayazit.
It is built in a mix of architectural styles and it had central heating, sewerage and running water systems. It must have been a luxuries and beautiful palace! Unfortunatly a lot was destroyed when it was used as military barracks holding several hundred soldiers.
The palace has got a haremlik, a selamlik, a second- and a first court and a prison.
The entrance fee is 5 000 000 TL.
From Dogubayazit it is 6 km to the palace. You can easily walk (I did it twice) or take a taxi. I don't know the price for a taxi but I paid 5 000 000 TL to a drunken taxidriver who was going home from the restaurant late one evening (he had picket some flowers for his wife, hoping she was not going to be angry whith him because of his drunknes).

• Updated Sep 29, 2003