"Heroes of the Ghetto monument - personal footnote" Monument to the Ghetto Heroes Tip by adin
Monument to the Ghetto Heroes, Warsaw: 15 reviews and 25 photos
I'm sure you could find all about this monument in history books and guidebooks. Reading and learning about the place you're about to visit is always a good practice.
Personal footnotes you'll not find:
The figure of the old, bearded man on the bottom-left hand side, holding the heavy stone, is of a real person who lived in the Jewish area before WW2. He was a porter and carried coal in winter and apples in the summer. He died in the ghetto during the war. My father remembers him from his childhood time, when chidren used to "help themselves" from his apple cart.
This is the original statue, made by Nathan Rapaport in 1948. The granite plates was brought from Germany, originally ordered by Hitler for his planned "third Reich" monument.
The copy of it is in Yad Va-Shem, the institute of the Holocaust in Jerusalem. On this copy the woman holding her child has her breast covered, unlike in the original. This was changed as a result of political-religious pressure in Israel.
More Things to Do in Warsaw (18)
More Reviews (33)
- See All Budget HOTELS in the center
- See All Don't rent a car, use public
- See All The sweet world of WEDEL
- Bikes, Ski, Tenis - equipment and...
- See All SZU SZU is what it is in Polish...
- See All Very cheap, very basic, very centrally...
- Tygmont - nice and simple, to the point.
- See All Katyn - The long kept secret
- Bashka..... Bashka...... Bashka.......
- Don't forget the umbrella
- See All "Chinese food" on the street is a health...
- Be polite - it helps
adin's Related Pages
Have you been to Warsaw?Share Your Travels