"Alcohol part 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Warnings Or Dangers Tip by maykal

Sudan Warnings and Dangers: 51 reviews and 35 photos

Never, and I mean never, go and fetch alcohol yourself if you can't pass yourself off as Sudanese. I tried it, and got myself arrested. Cue a story....I'd been invited by a student to drink, so off we went to an area called "ashwa'i" in Kassala, a place where many IDP's have set up more or less permanent homes, and in desperate situations, alcohol is quite a money-maker. Ashwa'i is a very dark area of mud huts and barking dogs, and a white face is noticed. Almost as soon as we had entered the neighbourhood, the police stopped us, asked where we were going, and suddenly we found ourselves on the back of a truck, head down with an iron bar bouncing on our necks. At the police HQ, we were questioned, but because we hadn't drunk or bought anything, I was accused of being a spy, an Israeli one at that. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we were let off, but with a warning that if we were ever caught in that area again, I would be deported, and my companion beaten. Had he gone alone, maybe all would have been OK, but who knows...I'm fairly sure that it was my white face that sparked it all off. Moral of the story...if you have to have alcohol, don't fetch it yourself, and be prepared to live with yourself if the fetcher is caught and whipped.
Before leaving the police HQ, the chief commander gave me his phone number, and said "if you need a drink, avoid the local stuff, and call me...I can get you good imported stuff"...I haven't phoned...

• Written Sep 5, 2003

maykal Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Sudan?