Ichiban Japanese Steak House: "Great dinner and show" Top 5 Page for this destination Chattanooga Restaurant Tip by soundsgoodtome

Chattanooga Restaurants: 57 reviews and 90 photos

I just recently ate here for the first time, and I liked it much better than Kampai Tokyo japanese steakhouse. The food was different than other oriental restaurants I've been to. They used more seasoning and had more types of sauces to choose from. The best part about the Ichiban, however, was the show done by the chefs. This was also better than the other ones I've been to. The chef performed tricks such as spinning the spatula around a single finger, spinning an egg and then flipping it into the air repeatedly and finally on top of his hat. The most impressive part of the show was when the chef separated an onion into rings of different sizes, stacked them on top of each other in the shape of a cone, and then poured oil inside and lit it on fire so that it looked like a volcano exploding. When the fire went out, the onion cone smoked for about 30 more seconds just like a volcano does after it blows. It was really neat! The sign out front says they have the best chefs in town, and I believe they are right. I also recently just went to the other new japanese steakhouse called Shogun, which is located on Gunbarrel Road. The food here was also great, but the show, although good, was slightly less exciting. Also, the rice had a unique flavor that I didn't care for, so I had to use lots of soy sauce to make it taste good.

Address: 5621 Brainerd Road and 5425 Highway 153
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: I went to the one in Brainerd, beside Chili's and across from EastGate. Hixson location I did not know about. no reservations needed.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Japanese/Sushi

• Updated Apr 20, 2004

Comments

soundsgoodtome

“Time is man's eternal enemy, it only goes by slowly when we don't want it to.”

Have you been to Chattanooga?