Buffalo Mountain Lodge: "Have a couple hundred you need to unload?" Buffalo Mountain Lodge Tip by zrim

Buffalo Mountain Lodge, Banff: 1 reviews and 1 photos

best dinner in town
by zrim

By far the best meal we had in Canada was at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge--right across the street from our rooms at the Tunnel Mountain Lodges.

The dining room is rustic yet elegant. The room has cathedral ceiling and big windows and is made of lengthy logs. The staff is meticulous and knowledgable and very attentive. Meanwhile, the diners are wearing casual clothes--a flannel shirt would not be out of place.

But really you go to a restaurant for its food and it is very good. For an appetizer we shared a foie gras with citrus french toast and currants. The currants and the citrus toast cut the sweet fatty foie gras to make for a very pleasing snack. For main course Becky had the Alberta beef tenderloin with portabella mushroom and a risotto cake and au jus. I took the three piece elk sirloin with a yam, yukon gold and goat cheese gratin. The entrees came with lightly steamed or boiled asparagus, red pepper, baby squash and purple radish. We chose a 1997 Gordon Bros. Cabernet with the dinner.

Dessert was even better. I had piped white chocolate over a brulee of very dark chocolate with a pistachio crust and two cherry truffles. We sampled some ice wines with dessert and were glad we could walk back to our lodge.

I can't recommend the Buffalo Mountain Lodge highly enough, but be prepared to drop some cash--it is pricey.

Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$41 and up