"A small heaven" Howth Pier Tip by shivan

Howth Pier, Howth: 25 reviews and 65 photos

I have no pics of this place, or, at least, I can't find them at the moment.

I still want to talk about a magical evening I spent in Howth.
Howth is a very small village north of Dublin. You can reach it taking the road by the coast. Sea is east of you so the sun, in the evening, is behind you. Nothing blinds you preventing the sight of the coastline.

Arriving there I saw a panorama I will never forget.

The village, with its small colourful houses, climbs the hills surrounding a small bay.
Hills are also covered by long grass, waving by the wind.
Silence and peace everywhere, a small number of inhabitants slowly walks along the steep small roads. A small harbour is there, and the masts of docked white boats gently wave by the wind.
Long piers protect the harbour from the foaming sea, and beyond them, in front of the bay, there is a small green island, dominated but a smooth hill. An ancient, abandoned house is also there.

The landscape and the magical atmosphere cannot be described by writings or photos, you must go there, remain silent for a while, and feel...

We had dinner in a small restaurant. Food was superb, and while we were eating, a young wonderful woman with dark red long hairs came in.

She was pregnant, and started playing old celtic ballads with her harp, sweetly singing.

I stopped having dinner, took my glass of wine, and sat alone for at least two hours in exstasy listening to her music. She also played a song from Kate Bush (and I'm a great fan of her!). I can't remember her name, she was from Colorado, and she married a lucky man from Howth.
Oh God! What a place!!

Address: In the harbour

• Updated Aug 22, 2003

“Living another, better day”

Have you been to Howth?