"Church St. Jan" Gouda Things to Do Tip by OlafS

Gouda Things to Do: 107 reviews and 183 photos

Gouda: St. Jan
by OlafS

I cannot go to a place and ignore its churches. On this trip (like on many other trips) churches were my destination in the first place. In the case of Gouda the church hardly can be ignored anyway. Although it is surrounded by other buildings on most sides this church dominates the view. This is the longest church in The Netherlands, with an impressive length of 123 metres. You need to see it to understand what that means, I think. It's also quite tall compared to the surrounding buildings, even though the picture doesn't really illustrate this. Its size is not what makes it so important, nor does its beauty because this really isn't a very beautiful church. No, its many old staind-glass windows are the main attraction here, and you pay 1 euro 90 to take a look inside. For that money you get a leaflet with explanations. The oldest windows are from the 16th century and survived the iconoclastic riots of that century.

I asked if taking pictures was allowed. "As long as we don't see you doing it" was the answer. I took over 50 pictures and wasn't bothered by anyone. Although I wasn't really interested in the windows I found the interior worth a good look.

The latest news is that cracks are showing up at this church. This might result in a major restoration soon. Get yourself informed about this to prevent any disappointments.

• Updated May 27, 2004

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Have you been to Gouda?