The Royal Hotel vs D&D Inn (Khao San Road): "The "Royal" Comparison" Thailand Hotel Tip by beaniezotzim

Thailand Hotels: 596 reviews and 561 photos

See D&D green/purple sign
by beaniezotzim

When reading our guide books, we came across a listing for "The Royal Hotel". We decided to stay there because of its location in camparison to the things that we wanted to see in BKK. Location, unfortunately, is all this place had to offer. it really wasn't that nice to me for the price that we were paying (about $35-40 US). We stayed two nights and headed out of the city. We had to go back through BKK and did not want to stay there again. We decided to do what most backpackers do - stay on Khao San Road. We didn't really want to stay in one of those "hostel" type places so we checked out D&D Inn (about midway khao san road) and for 600 baht / night we got a room with a/c, hot/cold shower, and cable tv. the rooms were nice and well kept. We got a room with a window that opened right onto Khao San below so it was a little bit noisey, but I concider myself an avid "people-watcher", so it was really nice for me. If you aren't into the noise, the hotel goes quite a way back off the street, so you could most likely get a nice quiet room with all of the same ammenities. Oh, almost forgot, they have a pool too!

so for less than 1/2 the Price of the Royal, we were 5 times happier with D&D. Location was great too, it's within walking distance to a great deal of things that BKK has to offer. (the river, grand palace, etc.)

D&D gets an A+ in my book.

Address: Khoa San Road
Comparison: about average
Directions: right about in the middle of Khao San Road
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hotel

• Written Aug 9, 2003

Comments

beaniezotzim

“We're really doin' it Harry!!!”

Have you been to Thailand?