"Helpful people" Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Local Custom Tip by Norali

Belgium Local Customs: 246 reviews and 239 photos

Helpful me even with hands...
by Norali

While visiting Belgium, feel free to ask for assistance. Belgian people are helpful...

At first time, try to ask the question in one of local language (mostly Dutch and French). Once locals notice you make effort to speak the language, they may switch language to the one you would naturally speak, or most of time English.

In Brussels and Wallonia, try a little French (esp. in Wallonia):
Hello = Bonjour
Excuse-me = Excusez-moi
Can you help me? = Pourriez-vous m'aider?
I speak a little of French = Je parle un peu le Français.
How to go to...? = Comment aller à...?

In Flanders, it would be Dutch though pronunciation would be even harder to learn than French. I think, you may though start with "Goedendag" for "Hello", "Excuseer" for "Excuse-me", "Dank U" for "Thank you" ... As soon as they understand you are a tourist, they would switch into English as well.

I had a situation with a tourist who asked me a place where to catch buses. It was asked in either Spanish (from Spain or Latin America) either in Portuguese... No word of English neither French neither the Dutch.

But then I was in a situation I really had to stick to what he said and managed to do it. Could explain to him as well, in "English with hands".

• Updated Jul 27, 2004

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Belgium?