Armenian Taverna: "Armenian Taverna" Armenian Taverna Tip by monkeyfeesh

Armenian Taverna, Manchester: 6 reviews and 4 photos

Armenian restaurants don't usually spring to mind when you think of restaurants in the UK that are specifically tied to one country. There are obvious Italian, Indian, and French, and Chinese restaurants, and then there's Greek, Turkish, Mexican. Out of these, Armenian cuisine is closest to Turkish and Greek, right down to the availability of baklava as a sweet. Not quite knowing what to expect, we made our reservation and wandered on down to the Armenian Taverna. It's quite an intimate place, down in a basement. The service is good, attentive without being in-your-face, and friendly. One of the prime features of the menu is the Khoravadik - or what we'd usually call a kebab. It's a term that covers a myriad of different kebabs, from shish to chicken to Gaizig Trout, all charcoal grilled on a skewer. There are also a number of other dishes available which are much as you might to expect to find where cuisine from this region is served - ghoulash for example. We chose a platter of starters to get a good selection, since, as ever, we wanted to try almost everything on the menu and couldn't choose.

The food was...good, but unspectacular. I was slightly underwhelmed, having read some excellent reviews of the place. For instance, I found the meat on my mixed kebab a little chewy and overdone and the sauce a little bland. I don't want to criticize too much - I'd still recommend it as worth trying, and I was far from dissatisfied. The portions were of decent size and value. I'd be happy to go there again, if I were with somebody who wanted to go, but I wouldn't make a point of doing so when there are so many other good restaurants to try.

Address: Albert Square
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: It's not as easy to spot as you might expect, since it's actually in a basement! But if you go on the Princess Street side of the Town Hall, you should be able to see its crimson/plum coloured sign.
Phone: (0161) 834 9025
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Middle Eastern

• Updated Apr 11, 2004

monkeyfeesh Lives Here!

“Something witty and profound”

Have you been to Manchester?