"Egyptian Antiquities in the Louvre - Part II" Louvre Tip by aliante1981

Louvre, Paris: 796 reviews and 1,585 photos

Now? Raherka and Merseankh? Another masterpiece I knew well even before my visit? Did not know it was in the Louvre museum, however. This sculpture group (I call it so only because there?re two statues in it) of husband and wife (as I remember from my history of the arts classes) comes to us from the time of the 5th dynasty, and its not in a bad state of preservation if you consider its more than 4500 years old. Made of limestone ? if you stroll around the Egyptian Antiquities department in the Louvre you?ll quickly jump to the idea it was the prime sculpture material in those days. I certainly did!

Some of the other highlights:

- Painting from the Akhetetep (what a name, by the way!!) Mastaba, showing the scribes that are recording the reopening of the farms, and a hunting scene. Not so many gods, as I noticed, but mostly scenes from everyday life.

- Couple, a statue made of the acacia wood. Not really in excellent state of preservation, but who?d expect wood to be in a perfect state after 4500 years??

- Large Sphinx ? I really love sphinxes! This one?s really large ? close to 5 meters!

- Lintel of Sesostris III: King Making an Offering to the God Montou ? this one was taken from Medamoud temple, and belongs to the 12th dynasty

- King Sesostris III, a diorite statue of the pharaoh of the 12th century, taken from Medamoud

Address: 99 rue de Rivoli, Paris, France, 75058
Directions: Métro: Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre
Phone: +33 1 40 20 50 50
Website: http://www.louvre.fr

• Updated Aug 3, 2003

“Even the longest journey begins with a single step...”

Have you been to Paris?