"Manet ? Orsay Museum (3)" Musée d'Orsay Tip by aliante1981

Musée d'Orsay, Paris: 275 reviews and 558 photos

Now, don?t make the error I always made ? confusing Edouard Manet (the one we?re talking about now) with Claude Monet. I guess I tended to mix them up as their surnames sound quite alike in Russian.

The most noticeable Edouard Manet piece in the Orsay museum is ?Le Dejeuner sur l?Herbe?, which (I guess) can be roughly translated from French (I am no expert in the language, though) as ?People Breakfasting on the Grass?, painted in year 1863. The painting?s forest setting with a nude woman and two fully clothed men in the foreground sent shock waves through respectable society when it was first exhibited. Now, I must say it?s somewhat surprising? Where were the feminists in those days??? Only joking? Besides ?Le Dejeuner sur l?Herbe?, look also for ?Olympia? if you?re interested in Edouard Manet. By the way, it created another scandal by depicting a woman lounging on her bed and wearing nothing but a flower in her hair and high-heeled shoes; she's attended by an African maid in the background. Zola called Manet "a man among eunuchs."

Address: 1 Rue de la Légion d'Honneur, 75007 Paris
Directions: Near Quai Anatole France.
Phone: +33 1 40 49 48 14
Website: http://www.musee-orsay.fr/

• Written Aug 3, 2003

Comments

aliante1981

“Even the longest journey begins with a single step...”

Have you been to Paris?