"Comic strips" Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Local Custom Tip by Norali

Belgium Local Customs: 246 reviews and 239 photos

Belgian cowmic strips
by Norali

This is a cultural trait of Belgians: they are great readers of comic strips.

They counted many authors as well, amongst them the most known Hergé (father of Tintin, the reporter who travelled around the world). For me, Tintin (main character of the comic series) had the merit of sending the reader to other countries, cultures. Most famous are his trip to Congo, the one within the Incas...

May I say that readers then became kind of virtual tourism pioneers? Am I right? The net hadn't reached its spread we know nowadays for being kept in some US defence and security lab... though Belgians and comic strip fans could already read the adventure pages of reporter Tintin (Tintino in some parts of the world).

A tip: if you are invited to diner by Belgians and you know the household have either kids, youngsters or even adults who are fond of comic strips, giving the latest release of Thorgal, XIII, Largo Winch is highly appreciated. Tintin is an object of national pride.
For Flemish fans, the only that come in my mind are Nero, Suske&Wiske. My Flemish friends would tell me on contemp strips.

Another tip: Le Centre Belge de La Bande Dessinée. You would see there the making off and birth of a comic strip. The collection gathers works of thousands of Belgian BD authors. All you want to now about BD (comic strips) is there.
Location: Rue des sables, 20 - 1000 Bruxelles

Another reason to go there: to admire the premices of this old Waucquez boutiques. They were designed by the great master Horta. This detail, the cow didn't know about it. For me, it is a huge reason to go there. I was proud to tell her the little things I know...

• Updated Aug 4, 2003

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Belgium?