"Open-air markets... la vida loca" Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Things to Do Tip by Norali

Belgium Things to Do: 941 reviews and 1,119 photos

She likes the ambience of open-air markets
by Norali

While showing Dannie Place Rouppe area, I met "Verse Fraiche". She knows a lot about morning markets. She told me about her happiness in wandering in markets, smelling fruits odours, listening to diversity as, sometimes, Morrocan culture invades those markets. Music, people, food, salespersons... they are present in Brussels markets, especially in Abattoirs d'Anderlecht and marche du Midi.

I told her I know some of markets in Brussels region but I hate doing markets in summer, I prefer springtime for that. She told me to go there in the very morning when there are few people. Yes, I guess that would help me to wake up earlier than usual.

I agree with her, I like tasting fruit in markets as well. Stalls abund in fruits. Sellers use to cut portions or dices of fruit to enable you to taste them. I never tasted there but I love cherrymoya in Marche du midi. They are really expensive in supermarkets. But I bought them here.

Then Verse Fraiche draw my attention to dairy products in markets. She told me that quite only in those markets, you can buy fresh ricotta and mozarella, with really different taste from the one sold in supermarkets. I didn't know about this Italian cheese thing but I love cheese and communal markets are good suppliers of cheese.

As a good advertiser, she reminded me that prices in Marches du midi and Abattoirs were unbeatable and that this is, of course, one of advantages of doing the markets. She is soo right! I also love the whole range of olives sold by Morrocan students who work at Marche du Midi on week-ends.

Directions: Abattoirs in Anderlecht - Gare du Midi in Brussels- Place Dumon in WSP- La Chasse in Etterbeek- Place Keym in watermael Boitsfort (saturday morning)- Place Jourdan (sunday morning)...

• Updated Feb 25, 2004

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Belgium?