"The old harbour of Gent" Top 5 Page for this destination Medieval City Centre Tip by Luchonda
Medieval City Centre, Gent: 9 reviews and 18 photos
Ghent - in the medieval period - had a very important harbour ! Corn - meat and textiles were handled in this harbour.
Several "Gilde houses" still shows the power of Ghent.
Remarkable - not only in Ghent - is teh style of architecture - small houses because they were taxed by the running meter of the facade-or the inclination of the facades - direction to the Harbour - splendid idea that time - because the merchandise like grains had to be stored on top - so the inclination should be accordingly ! - Out of center !
And as this picture shows - balloon driving is an important business in East-Flanders.
Address: Gras and Korenlei
Directions: The center - well restored during the last years !
The street scenary became different - no private cars allowed - only taxi's and public transport !
More Reviews (123)
- See All Gentsche Fieste 2008 - Teater Exces
- See All Industrial architecture
- See All Port of Ghent - juli 2008
- See All Six days biking - top sport Flanders
- See All Rock&Roll - unplugged
- See All Beautiful views on the harbor of Ghent
- Ghent has a lot of good accomodations
- See All Graffiti in the previous "fishmine" of...
- See All Manneken Pis
- Buy east flanders agricultural products
- See All Traffic signs
Been to Gent?Share your travels with the world!
Luchonda's Related Pages
Have you been to Gent?Share Your Travels