"Hand-crafting locals keep it REAL..." Portland Things to Do Tip by ErikaWinklebleck

Portland Things to Do: 370 reviews and 737 photos

The very first time I went to Saturday market I didn't understand why they called it "Saturday" Market considering it was open Saturdays AND Sundays...but the 'market' part was as clear as the sunny July day that I attended.

Portland, Oregon is generally a rainy city...but come summer... you have arived in paradise. Blue skys, cool evenings, warm days, moutains in the distance.

I have many vendors that I love at Saturday Market. Another vendor that really grabs the theme of this market of "locals who make stuff and sell it underrneath the bridge in a somewhat elaborate setting" is Yasu. This oh-so-sweet Chinese man makes WOODEN TOYS. I always make it part of my tour of the market to stop in a say Hi to Yasu. I love watching the children come in to his little booth and handle the wooden toys as if they were alien babies. Some kids just aren't as enthralled as the parents. REMEMBER WOODEN TOYS??????

Ok, I have to admit...Yasu lives three houses from me. I have watched him make these toys out on his front yard, painting each one meticulously. He makes $8,000 violins to $1.00 dreidles and cars. He is simple and loving. He represents what Saturday Market is all about.
He is a craftsman...and we just don't see many of those anymore.

A Surfer-Boy who makes Wallets out of Duct Tape, A homeless-looking man who makes Walking Sticks, artists who will draw you on the spot, artists who paint exquisite oil paintings, custom-made jewelry, bonzi trees, strange people and so much more...not including the live music and food, food, food. My favorite (which I discovered is not a food group of it's own:)...ELEPHANT EARS. Deep Fried Floppy Bread that is dipped in cinammon sugar....drool. And a lemonade please.

Check this place out....http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

Address: Located Underneath Burnside Bridge Portland
Directions: Old town district under the burnside bridge, there is a max stop here.

• Written Jul 25, 2003

Comments

ErikaWinklebleck's Related Pages

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Portland?