"Cadbury Chocolate Factory!" Breweries and Confection visits. Tip by kooka3

If you are a chocoholic -- or even remotely like chocolate --this is a place that you NEED to get to!! The tour lasts about an hour and a half and takes you through a lot of the factory. The guides say you get to go through a mile and a half of it! wow. They start by showing you a movie about the chocolate making process and then you move into the factory. This was a Willy Wonka dream come true, unfortunately minus the Oompa Loompas. :(
They took us into about 6 different processing rooms where they were making 2-3 types of chocolates in each. We got to see everything from the mixing of the chocolate to the packaging. In every room, they gave us samples of whatever they were making. These were generally the rejects -- ie the broken pieces that they couldn't sell. I can't believe how much they gave us. I was so full by the time I left, I didn't want to look at chocolate again -- and I didn't think that was possible!
Cost is bit pricey, but it's worth it for the experience. Adults: A$13.75; children: A$6.60; family A$33 (2 adults and up to 4 children); seniors and concession: A$9.35

Make sure you book at least a day or 2 ahead, expecially in busy tourist seasons. Tours are held at 9, 9:30, 10:30, 11:15, and 1:00 on Mon-Fri. They are closed for a couple weeks around Christmas and New Year's.

Address: Cadbury Estate, Cadbury Road
Directions: You can book half day tours through any travel type of agency in Hobart (I booked mine at the central bus terminal downtown), or you can go by yourself on a Hobart City Bus. Lines 37, 38, and 39 go right by the factory.
Phone: +61 (0)3 6249 0333

• Updated Jan 21, 2005

Comments

kooka3

“Above all nations comes humanity.”

Have you been to Hobart?